Tuesday, August 25, 2009

How to Make Friends While Abroad

girls
In my first two weeks in Argentina, I met a lot of people through my program. I did not feel an overwhelming strong connection with anyone until the end of my first month in Buenos Aires. I met a group of girls (mostly from the schools in the Boston area) that I felt I clicked with. I finally realized I had a group of friends I could hang out with on a regular basis until the end of my five month stay.

I never felt uncomfortable with them. With this group of girls, I felt like I could be myself.

Here is a list of sure fire ways to make friends in your program while abroad:
1. Strike up a conversation with the person sitting next to you during orientation (every study abroad program has an orientation).
2. Ask people what school they go to (maybe they go to yours and then bingo! instant friends...If not, ask around to find people from your school's area).
3. Comment on someone's appearance i.e. "I really like your shirt! I have one just like it!" Or "Oh, Are those Kanye West glasses? Did you get to see him in concert??"
4. Comment on how lame the orientation week is or how awesome it is..either one can get someone talking!
5. Ask someone if they live in your neighborhood near your host house, this way, you can meet people who you can hang out with after orientation week is over!

Anyone have more suggestions on how to make friends while studying abroad??

Next time: How to Get to Know Your Neighborhood when Abroad

No comments:

Post a Comment